Pain in knee joint ? Arthritis is primarily a Vata disorder due to which pain is more. Arthritis is mainly caused due to either excess of ama (a toxic by product due to improper digestion ) accumulated at the weak joints like knee joint etc(Aam Vata) or degenerative changes in the joint (Sandhigata vata), along with disequilibrium of vata, inhibits joint function, mobility and causing pain..
Ayurveda is a holistic approach to healthcare with roots in ancient India. Osteoarthritis a degenerative joint disease occurs due to aggravation of Vata and is known as Sandhigata vata.
Symptoms of this Arthritis are edema, pain, tenderness, stiffness, pain on work etc. It also starts with ageing and the following factors contributes to the vitiation of vata dosha. Many patients experience gradually reduced symptoms after movements of joints and warm water bath.
When only Vata is aggravated causing degenrative changes called as Sandhigat vata, where as Vata along with deposition of Aam at the joint is called as Aamvata.
Both the joint disorders are painful hampering day to day activities.
Most likely to develop joint disorders
- After age of 50 (Females > Males)
- Individuals with improper dietary habits.
- Individuals with standing jobs for long hours
- Improper posture
Ayurvedic treatment for arthritis basically focuses on bringing out equlibrium in Vata dosha at the joint along with digestion of Aam(Toxins).
SYMPTOMS of Arthritis (Sandhigat vata)
- Stiffness in morning or after prolonged rest
- Pain in knee joint during movements
- Discomfort in a joint before or during a change in weather
- Swelling and a loss of flexibility in a joint
At Sparsh Ayurveda and Panchakarma Clinic we provide complete for Arthritis and knee pain by following methods:
1. Herbal Medicines: At Sparsh Ayurveda and Panchakarma Clinic (Navi Mumbai, India), we have designed a special Ayurvedic arthritis treatment methods with selected best Ayurvedic Herbal medicines which has been proven effective in reducing pain and other symptoms of Arthritis like knee pain etc.
- Abhyanga: Ayurvedic oils(Taila) used for massage of knee joint / effected joint which reduced pain in joint, balances the vata.
- Swedan: Herbal steam or Potali used to provide deep heat to joint to reduce pain and stiffness in knee joint
- Janu Vasti: Specially prepared medicated oil is kept over knee joint with herbal paste boundary
- Basti / Vasti: (cleansing enemas): Here medicines are given through anal canal . As the large intestine is the main place of Vata , So it is the treatment of choice for maximum neurological disorders, caused by aggravated Vata. In this type of Vasti herbal decoctions constitute the major part of the medicine.
- Patra Potali swedan(Elakizhi / Pacchakizhi) : A type of sudation (Swedan) where fresh leaves of herbs are fried in oil, tied into boluses (Pottali), dipped in warm oil and applied all over the body for specific time. This procedure has been proven effective in reducing acute pain in arthritis.
- Shalishasti pinda swedan (Navarakizhi): A type of sudation(Swedan) in which a special rice is cooked with ayurvedic herbs and milk, made into boluses(Pottali) and rubbed over the body in a systematic way after abhyanga. It helps in restoring the body vitality and thus shows effect in Arthritis.
4. Dietary advice
5. Life style modification.