Women have two ovaries, which are small organs inside your body where eggs (ova) mature and are then released. This happens about once a month. The ovaries produce the hormones oestrogen, progesterone and testosterone.. In each menstrual cycle, follicles grow on the ovaries. Eggs develop within those follicles, one of which will reach maturity faster than the others and be released into the fallopian tubes. This is “ovulation”. The remaining follicles then degenerate.
In the case of polycystic ovaries, however, the ovaries are larger than normal, and there are a series of undeveloped follicles that appear in clumps, somewhat like a bunch of grapes.
Symptoms of PCOS
- Menstrual disorders: PCOS mostly produces oligomenorrhea (few menstrual periods) or amenorrhea (no menstrual periods), but other types of menstrual disorders may also occur.
- Infertility: This generally results directly from chronic anovulation (lack of ovulation).
- High levels of masculinizing hormones: The most common signs are acne and hirsutism (male pattern of hair growth), but it may produce frequent menstrual periods
- Metabolic syndrome: This appears as a tendency towards central obesity and other symptoms associated with insulin resistance. Serum insulin, insulin resistance and homocysteine levels are higher in women with PCOS.
Specialized Ayurvedic Treatment
Ayurvedic diets for PCOS focus on developing healthy Aartava (Female reproductive tissue-one of the dhatu). A diet for patients with PCOS include fresh food and Vegetable. Also recommend fresh fruits such as peaches, pears, plums as well as dried fruits such as dates, figs and raisins .It is also recommended to avoid spicy food, fermented food, Intake of butter milk, to improve the Agni ( Digestive fire). Intake porridge prepared from Ragi extract (nachini, Eleusine coracana). Prefer crystal sugar (Khadisakhar, Mishri) for taste instead of normal sugar. Weight watchers can prefer sugar substitutes however crystal sugar is very safe.
Aartava-kshaya, which can be correlated with PCOS has been described as deficiency or loss of artava, artava dose not appears in time or is delayed, is scanty and dose not last for three days. Pain in vagina also can be seen. According to Ayurveda, Aartava-kshaya is a disorder involving Pitta and Kapha doshas, Medas, Ambu/Rasa, Shukra/Artava Dhatu and Rasa, Rakta, Artava Vaha Srotas. Therefore Poly Cystic Ovarian Syndrome can also be described with same involvement of Dosha, Dhatu and Upadhatu Kapha predominance manifests as increased weight, subfertility, hirsutium, diabetic tendencies and coldness. Pitta predominance manifests as hair loss, acne, painful menses, clots and heart problems. Vata predominance manifests with painful menses, scanty or less menstrual blood and severe menstrual irregularity
The pathology is an obstruction in the pelvic cavity (Apana Kshetra) causing disorders in the flow of Vata. This in turn leads to an accumulation of Kapha and Pitta.
The treatment principle is to clear obstruction in the pelvis, normalize metabolism and regulate the menstrual system (Aartava Dhatu). Kapha reducing, insulin enhancing and hormone rebalancing drugs help to the relieve symptoms of Poly Cystic Ovarian Syndrome.
Ayurvedic Purification methods (Detoxification)
Ayurvedic ‘Panchakarma’ treatment gives definite answer to the increasing question of PCOS in the new era. Panchakarma therapy provides strength to the reproductive organs like Uterus, Ovaries, Fallopian tubes, Vagina in females & Testis in the males. Panchakarma therapy also maintains the hormonal balance.
1. Basti(Vasti): Enema of medicated oil or Decoction is given through Rectum. Vitiated “Vata” can create various health problems. Basti releases obstructions in the way of Vata dosha and thus regulates the normal phenomenon of “Vata”. Different types of medicated Oils, Ghruta, milk or decoctions are used for Basti treatment. It can state miracles if administered in a proper way with appropriate medicines.
Basti procedure eliminates the doshas from rectum. It balances the “Vata” Dosha. Apana Vayu is the type of “Vata Dosha”, which controls on the Shukra Dhatu (Semen) in males & Aartava (Ovum) in females. “Apan Vayu” controls the reproductive system. The procedure “Basti” regulates Apan Vayu which improves quality of Semen & Ovum.
In females oil Basti of “Sahachar Tail” improves quality of ovulation within normal days. In males the Basti procedure improves quality & quantity of Semen i.e. it improves total sperm count and motility of Semen.
Benefits of Basti—
- Female Infertility = Irregular Menses, Dysmenorrhea, P.C.O.D. Fallopian Tubal Block.
- Male Infertility = Erectile Dysfunction, Libido, Decreased Motility etc.
2. Uttarbasti (Vasti): Uttara basti(Vasti) is the most effective treatment in gynaecological disorders. It helps to purification and clears the Aartava Vaha Srotas, pacifies vitiated Apana Vayu and improve follicular maturity.
3. Virechan: It eliminates body toxins like vitiated ‘Pitta’. The process of cleansing is carried out in the small intestine & other Pitta zones. Here drugs that stimulate bowel movement are increased for the expulsion of doshas through rectum. It acts on hormones system like ‘Vaman Karma’.
4. Vaman: Cleansing procedure intended mainly for the expulsion of vitiated ‘Kapha’. This is a painless, drug induced emetic procedure, carried out mainly in the Vasant rhitu i.e. Feb. ,Mar. ,April Months.
Vaman procedure purifies internal toxins. This balances hormonal system. Vaman acts on Thyroid gland. It also stimulates Pancreas to secret insulin in normal level, so P.C.O.D. decreases accordingly.
Herbal medicines are very effective in regularising the hormones. Panchakarma Procedure are effective to correct the pathology of cysts. After proper completion of panchkarma procedure likes uttar basti(vasti) it has been observed that follicles do rupture naturally without any hormonal injections.
Get your baby naturally…….
Increase your chances of getting pregnant by determining when you are most fertile with Essential Baby’s Ovulation Calculator
(Note these dates are calculated based on specific parameters. Ovulation calculator gives you an approximate dates of your fertile days. This tool cannot be solely used during treatment. Kindly consult a doctor for perfect dates of your ovulation)
Posted by Dr.Vaibhav Kadam on July - 3 - 2014